Biological Institution Membership
The ISIS Board of Trustees approves all members. Biological Institutions must meet the following criteria to be considered voting members of ISIS:
- Must be open to the public at regular hours
- Must register live animals of wild species on ISIS (not solely domestics)
- Must meet Board-set data currentness standard (90 days)
- Must sign the ISIS Membership Agreement and abide by the requirements outlined in the ISIS Member Declaration
- Must pay annual dues and other fees current to the year
- Must record and share data on their entire live animal collection, excepting feedstock and research collections
- Must not be an organization whose core business or mission is the buying or selling of animals
OTHER TYPES OF MEMBERSHIP
Zoological Associations Membership
Zoo and aquarium associations receive:
Formal representation in ISIS
Licensed use of ISIS software and access to pooled data at their associations' offices
ISIS may provide workshops, training courses or participate in your association’s meetings by providing presentations on data management or other appropriate topics
ISIS may provide studbook support to your region
ISIS will send ISISNews – our monthly member newsletter and other communications to all its members
Association of Zoological Professionals Membership
Associations of zoological professionals may apply for membership in ISIS. Membership in ISIS offers zoo and aquarium professional associations:
- Formal representation in ISIS
- Access for all of your association members to create individuals profiles on the ISIS Community Portal
- Exchange of information from ISIS through ISISNews and other communications
Under ISIS Bylaws (rev. 30, September 2002), such membership is required for any association of professionals to be represented on the ISIS Board of Trustees.
Facilities that cannot afford to pay for ISIS membership may be eligible for a sponsored membership.
Application for Educational License to Teach the
ISIS offers educational institutions access to the educational version of ZIMS application for the purpose of teaching those who will be employed by zoos, aquariums or other wildlife management and conservation groups.
The educational version of the ZIMS application is not a part of the ISIS global database. It is part of a separate teaching database through which your students will have access to their own data and that of all other educational institutions using the ZIMS application for teaching purposes.
ISIS does not maintain data in this environment. Each institution may input data as they see fit.
In addition to the educational environment, your students will have access to basic ‘species holding’ from the ISIS global database – this is a view of the count of animals held by ISIS member institutions around the world.
Note: ISIS also offers regular membership for institutions that wish to use ISIS ZIMS to manage an animal collection and contribute to the global database.